When coining the phrase 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' I'm almost absolutely sure they were referring to this exact granola recipe. This may just be my ego talking - or my insane love for a sustaining, high-fibre, low-GI, great-tasting, beautifully-smelling brekky - but whatever the cause, this grain-free granola recipe is an absolute winner and one that makes even the dreariest of mornings a pleasure to face.
This is not just your average from-the-box granola you'll find on your supermarket shelves - more often than not loaded with unnecessary sugars, gluten and hard-to-digest grains or if they happen to contain the good stuff, they often cost a bomb and end up tasting a little more like the box they came in - this granola is a one-stop powerhouse shop for getting your morning boost, loaded with healthy fats, fibre and micronutrients plus is low GI, low carb and free from gluten, grain and refined sugar to avoid that inevitable mid-morning sugar crash. This base recipe contains everything your bod needs to fuel for full-on day, but you can easily chop and change to suit your taste and make it your own!
Super simple to whip up in the Thermomix, this recipe yields approximately 40 small serves but you can easily halve or quarter the recipe to suit the size of your family or simply store in the pantry in an airtight container for up to a couple of weeks. I will warn you however, this granola is as delicious as it is good for you, so we do suggest squirreling away a secret batch for yourself in a Sultana Bran box (or somewhere else they won't dare to look) as it often gets devoured quickly by other household members.
Scroll below to give this super fast and simple brekky a go and thank us later for the intoxicating scent of toasted cinnamon, vanilla and coconut wafting through your house for days. Underneath, you'll also find our simple recipe for granola and yoghurt jars. This is one of our challengers' favourite ways to use this granola recipe and makes a fantastic snack to keep you going throughout the day or even as a healthy and delicious dessert!
160g Mixed Unsalted Nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds, macadamias, pecans etc)
7 Dried Apricots *see notes
5 Pitted Medjool Dates
80g Shredded/flaked Coconut
1-2 tsp Cinnamon, ground, adjust to taste
2 tsp Vanilla Bean extract
30g Pepita/Pumpkin seeds
30g Sunflower Seeds
30g Coconut Oil (soft/semi melted, see notes)
Optional 3 TBsp dried Goji Berries/Cranberries/Blueberries
Optional 3 TBsp Hemp Seeds
Optional 3 TBsp Cacao nibs
1. Preheat Oven to 150 Degrees Celsius Fan Forced and prepare/line a baking tray (or 2)
2. Add Nuts, Apricots, Dates and Coconut into Mixing Bowl. TURBO / 0.5 SEC / x4 pulses.
3. Add everything else except for optional ingredients and MIX / REVERSE / 20 SEC / SP 3.
4. Spread the mixture out evenly (use 2 trays if needed, the shallower the mixture in the tray the more even and quicker it will bake)
5. Bake until golden brown (20-30 mins) stirring every 10 mins.
6. Once baked, stir in any of the optional ingredients: Goji Berries/Hemp Seeds/Cranberries/Blueberries/Cacao nibs if using and allow to completely cool before storing.
1. Replace Apricots with 3 extra dates, 50g dried Cranberries or 50g dried Blueberries or leave them out.
2. If using dried Cranberries/Blueberries, add them after baking (Step 6) instead of Step 2.
3. To make the recipe go further and if you aren't concerned about it being Gluten free or higher in Carbs, add approx 100g Whole Rolled Oats into Step 3. Alternatively, set some mixture aside without Oats and add Oats to another part for other family members.
4. Use Butter instead of Coconut Oil.
5. DOUBLE BATCH: Double all ingredients, follow recipe as is, use 2 or more baking trays to spread out the mixture. Cooking time may vary slightly.
6. Replace Cinnamon with 2 TBsp Cacao powder for a Chocolate Granola.
Completely cool mixture before storing it in the cupboard or fridge.
If your Coconut Oil isn't soft, place it into the mixing bowl first at step 3 and heat at 50 degrees for a couple of minutes. Then add remaining ingredients and continue as per recipe.